Since July 2023 all restaurants are required to use reusable cups for drinks served in their restaurants.
Combined with a regulation that requires restaurants accept customer-supplied (BYO) cups, the two regulations are tackling tackle single-use cups, one of the top litter items across Canada, and mostly unrecyclable.
The City’s regulation includes a number of other measures, including:
- Ban on foam containers, bowls and cups
- Ban on single-use plastic bags, and a fee on single-use paper bags
- Restaurants must accept customer-supplied clean cups
- Restaurants must provide reusable cups for dine-in orders
- Only offer accessories-on-request - including online, delivery and drive-through orders.
The City of Edmonton’s regulation provides comprehensive support to help small businesses and community groups make the transition – free signs and notices in multiple languages, training guides and videos, guidance on the best options, and a micro-grant that could be used to install dishwashing infrastructure, purchase reusable cups and get technical support to make the changes to ordering apps.
Do you like this page?